You can track the status of your tax refund using the Internal Revenue Service's "Where's My Refund?" website. To get your refund status, you need your Social Security number, exact refund amount and filing status. You can start checking your refund status 24 hours after e-filing or up to four weeks after mailing in your paper return.
The IRS claims it issued 90 percent of refunds within 21 calendar days or less of receiving the return for the 2012 tax year. "Where's My Refund?" is updated once per day, so you can check daily to get the latest information on when you'll be seeing your refund check.
- Duncan Smith/Photodisc/Getty Images
- How to Access My Tax Return and IRS Refund Online
- How to Check on a Federal Income Tax Return Direct Deposit
- How to Track an Income Tax Return
- When Do You Know for Sure the IRS Is Giving You Your Refund?
- When Does NetSpend Deposit Tax Refunds?
- A Closer Look at the Benefits of Using E-File for a Tax Return
- What Causes Delays in the IRS' Approval of Electronic Tax Returns?
- My Tax Return Check Has Been Fraudulently Cashed