When you're relying on Supplemental Security Income as part of your finances, you need to know that check is on the way. A check delay can be caused by a simple mailing snag, or it could be a sign of a bigger problem, such as mail theft. The Social Security Administration handles all SSI payments. While you can't track the status of the check online, the SSA will help you determine where it is at any given time.
Use the local office search on the Social Security Administration's website to find the nearest office to your zip code. If you can't find the office online, call the Social Security Administration's main line at 800-772-1213. Live assistance is available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday in all time zones.
Ask if your SSI check has been sent and when it was mailed. Have your Social Security number on hand when you call. Social Security will need to verify your identity and may ask questions to confirm it, such as your mother's maiden name.
Visit your local Social Security office if you can't get the matter resolved over the phone. Call your local office or the main help line to make an appointment. Ask the representative what paperwork you need to bring.
Check the payment schedule if you're uncertain of your check's normal mail date. The schedules are on annual calendars on the official website of the Social Security Administration. The payment schedules are set by date of birth, year of application, and whether you're also receiving Social Security benefits.
- Wait three mailing days after your payment date before contacting Social Security.
- If you're calling, the Social Security Administration recommends calling on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for shorter wait times.
- How to Change Your Address & Name on a Tax ID
- What Is Credit Card Sniffing?
- How to Sign a Tax Return If the Taxpayer Dies Before Filing Taxes
- How Should Married Couples Fill Out a W-4?
- How to Direct Deposit to an Existing Checking Account
- How to Change Your Bank of America Visa PIN
- How to Find Out Who Bought a House
- How to Find Out if My Name Is on ChexSystems?