How to Resubmit Your Taxes

No one sets out to make mistakes on taxes, but they do happen. If you must correct a tax form you've send to the Internal Revenue Service, you have to follow up with Form 1040X. You'll also need to resubmit a tax return whenever there's a change in tax liability. The amended tax forms must be filed within three years (including extensions) after the original filing date, or within two years after you paid the tax. The IRS website has all of the printable forms and instructions.

Print a copy of Form 1040X – Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return from the IRS website.

Mark the box at the top of the form indicating the tax return year you're correcting. Complete all of the personal information, then write an explanation of why you're making changes on part III of the form.

Use the tax table from the instructions for the year of your original return to determine your revised tax liability. Enter the amount on line 6 and complete lines 7 to 16 pertaining to credits due or previous payments made.

Mail the amended form to the appropriate IRS center in the 1040X instructions. The IRS will respond in eight to 12 weeks.

Items you will need

  • Form 1040X
  • W-2 forms
  • Additional appropriate paperwork (if required)


  • If you're amending more than one tax return, complete a separate 1040X for each one. Mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS center listed in the 1040X instructions.
  • Print and save copies of the amended 1040X, W-2 forms and any other pertinent paperwork as a back-up in case the information sent to the IRS is lost or misplaced.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling


About the Author

Karen Curinga has been writing published articles since 2003 and is the author of multiple books. Her articles have appeared in "UTHeath," "Catalyst" and more. Curinga is a freelance writer and certified coach/consultant who has worked with hundreds of clients. She received a Bachelor of Science in psychology.