How to Obtain a Copy of a W2 Form

If you have misplaced your W-2 form, or require one from a past year, you'll need to get one through your company’s accounting or human resources department. If this isn't possible, but you only need the facts on the form, there are other ways to get that information.

Ask the accounting or human resources department of your company if it keeps records of W-2s. Request a print or photocopy of the form.

Call the Internal Revenue Service's customer service line at 1-800-829-3676, or visit a local IRS field office. The IRS doesn't keep copies of W-2 forms, but can give you your earnings and tax deductions. The IRS will not have your state tax information.

Contact your local tax office by telephone or in person for state withholding information.

Fill out IRS form 4506 to request a copy of a previous year’s filed tax return. Mail the completed form with the required fee to the IRS office indicated in the form.


  • Contact the Social Security Administration if you have a SSA related inquiry such as an earnings discrepancy. The SSA can give you your wages and withholding information.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling

About the Author

Beth Rifkin has been writing health- and fitness-related articles since 2005. Her bylines include "Tennis Life," "Ms. Fitness," "Triathlon Magazine," "Inside Tennis" and others. She holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from Temple University.