How to Report a 1099 for a Deed in Lieu

The IRS considers forgiven debt as taxable income, which you must report on your income taxes.
i Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Before your home goes into foreclosure, submitting a deed in lieu to your mortgage company can release you from most of the mortgage debt associated with the outstanding loan. If your mortgage company sells the home for less than what you owe on the mortgage, you are responsible for the deficiency. If the mortgage company forgives the debt, the Internal Revenue Service considers the amount taxable income, which you must report on your income taxes. The mortgage company is required to report the canceled debt on Form 1099-C, and supply a copy to you and the IRS.

Step 1

Visit the IRS website at and obtain Form 1040 and the 1040 instructions.

Step 2

Enter your personal information in the top portion of Form 1040. Complete the section labeled "Income," but stop when you reach the line labeled "Other Income." As of the 2012 tax year, "Other Income" is listed on Line 21.

Step 3

Write "Forgiven Debt" in the first field on the line labeled "Other Income" of Form 1040.

Step 4

Enter the amount from Box 2 on Form 1099-C in the second field. This amount represents the taxable portion of your forgiven debt.

Step 5

Complete the remaining sections on Form 1040 to determine whether you will receive a refund or owe tax to the IRS.

the nest