When you record transactions in a spreadsheet, fiscal years often get separate worksheets or even separate workbooks. If transactions from multiple years enter the same sheet, you can use a fiscal year filter to sort the entries. Filtering by fiscal year enables you to show a single year's transactions at any time. The setup further lets you filter the transactions by other fields, displaying a series of related entries from across several fiscal years.
Open the spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel and label the fiscal year column "Fiscal Year," if it isn't already labeled as such.
Click the upper left cell in the array that you want to filter. Hold down the "Shift" key and click the lower right cell in the array to select the entire range.
Click "Home" in the Excel ribbon and then click "Sort & Filter" to open a drop-down menu.
Click "Filter" to add filters along the array's top row.
Click the cell labeled "Fiscal Year" and click a specific entry in the list to filter by that year.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- Saving Energy with Curtains
- Cheap Ways to Enclose a Patio
- How Do I Save Money on Electric Bills?
- How to Create a Monthly Budget Spreadsheet
- How to Organize Your Money in Jars to Help Get Out of Debt
- How to Use a Post Office Box to Get a Tax Refund
- How to Use a Spreadsheet Program to Develop a Food Budget
- How to Renovate a Studio Apartment