How to Get a Copy of an EIN Verification

Your company's Employer Identification Number is as essential to the business as your Social Security number is to your personal finances. While just knowing the number is often enough to conduct daily business, you may need a copy of your initial EIN verification letter from time to time. Unfortunately, many small business owners misplace this letter in the hustle and bustle of entrepreneur life.

If you suddenly find yourself in this position, there's no need to panic. There are several ways to obtain a copy of this letter and get your business done.

EIN Verification Letter Basics

Before you can find your verification letter, it's important to know what to look for. The EIN verification letter is also called the CP 575. If you know where this form is, you already have the letter you need. You should have received this letter within eight to 10 weeks after the IRS approved your EIN application. The IRS will use the address that you provided on the application form, so be sure you check the right mailbox.

Gather the Information You Need

If you cannot find your verification letter, you will need a few critical pieces of information to retrieve it. Gathering all this data in one place will make the rest of the process easier. First, you may need to find your EIN. You don't need the letter to locate the number. Check your company's bank account, any other business-related mail from the IRS or your previous year's taxes to find these digits.

You may also need the full address that the IRS has for your business, the name of the form you use to file taxes for your business and anything else the IRS may use to verify your identity. While this may feel frustrating, the IRS does this to protect your business.

Call the IRS

The most straightforward way to get a copy of your EIN verification letter is to call the IRS directly. The number for this service is 800-829-4933, and representatives are ready to help you between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. EST. You should allow up to four weeks to get the letter from the IRS. If you have made certain changes to your business since you received the letter, you may have to file additional paperwork before you can obtain a copy.

Talk to Other Institutions

If the thought of calling the IRS stresses you out, you're not alone. In some cases, you may be able to get the letter through your company's bank instead. If you work with an accountant on your business finances, he may have a copy of the letter as well. Furthermore, any institution that helped you file for the EIN in the first place may be able to help you get a copy. In many cases, these options are quicker than going to the IRS.

the nest