How to Get Certified Copies of Tax Returns

Certified tax returns prove that you filed your taxes.

Certified tax returns prove that you filed your taxes.

Young couples may need to provide certified copies of their tax returns for certain court and administrative proceedings such as adoptions, visas or immigration purposes. The IRS provides certified copies of your tax return documents for a fee. These documents are stamped as certified by the IRS, proving that you actually filed a tax return. It may take up to 60 days for you to receive your tax return documents. You may also indicate to the IRS to mail the documents to a third party.

Download form 4506 from the IRS website. The IRS also provides forms if you call 1-800-TAX-FORM.

Provide the name, address, and social security number for both spouses listed on the tax return. Indicate the year and the tax return requested. Check the box to make sure to you are requesting a certified copy.

Sign and date the form. The form provides a spot for both spouses to sign. Only one signature is required for joint returns.

Attach payment to your tax return request form. As of August 2012, the IRS charges a $57 fee for certified tax returns. Make a check or money order payable to the "United States Treasury." The IRS requests that you place your social security number or taxpayer identification number and "Form 4506 request" on the check.

Mail the tax return request to the address listed in the instructions on the second page of the form. The exact address varies depending on the state where you filed your return.


  • Do not mistake form 4506 with the tax-return transcript form 4506-T. A tax return transcript does not show all your information and is not certified by the IRS.

About the Author

Leigh Thompson began writing in 2007 and specializes in creating content for websites. She has been published online in various capacities. Thompson has an associate degree in information technology from the University of Kansas and is working on a bachelor's degree in business and personal finance.

Photo Credits

  • Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images