Visa gift cards are sold in predetermined increments and given as gifts in place of cash. The recipient can use a Visa gift card to make a purchase in stores, online or over the phone in the same way that regular credit cards are used. However, Visa gift cards cannot be used to get cash from an automated teller machine.
Automated teller machines, more commonly called ATMs, allow consumers to withdraw money from their bank accounts using debit cards. Withdrawal from an ATM requires that you enter a personal identification number, or PIN, into the machine. Because Visa gift cards do not have PINs associated with them, they cannot be used to take cash out of an ATM.
Prepaid Cards Can Be Used
Visa also offers prepaid credit cards, which you can purchase for yourself and load with a certain amount of money. Because these credit cards come with a PIN, they can be used to withdraw money from ATMs.
- Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- How to Get a Credit Card With Extremely Bad Credit
- Can You Combine a Credit Card Into a Car Loan?
- How to Write a Letter Disputing a Charge From a Third Party
- Are Reloadable Credit Cards a Good Idea?
- What Are Due Dates for Estimated Federal Income Tax Payments?
- Can I Cash My Savings Bond at a Post Office?
- Credit Card Eligibility
- Installment Debt Vs. Credit Card Debt