Visa gift cards are sold in predetermined increments and given as gifts in place of cash. The recipient can use a Visa gift card to make a purchase in stores, online or over the phone in the same way that regular credit cards are used. However, Visa gift cards cannot be used to get cash from an automated teller machine.
Automated teller machines, more commonly called ATMs, allow consumers to withdraw money from their bank accounts using debit cards. Withdrawal from an ATM requires that you enter a personal identification number, or PIN, into the machine. Because Visa gift cards do not have PINs associated with them, they cannot be used to take cash out of an ATM.
Prepaid Cards Can Be Used
Visa also offers prepaid credit cards, which you can purchase for yourself and load with a certain amount of money. Because these credit cards come with a PIN, they can be used to withdraw money from ATMs.
- Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- How To Close a Secured Credit Card Account
- What Are Due Dates for Estimated Federal Income Tax Payments?
- How to Use a Post Office Box to Get a Tax Refund
- Ways to Improve a Bad Credit Score
- How to Figure Out Debt-to-Credit Ratio
- Cheap Ways to Decorate Your House for the Christmas Season
- Can an Unmarried Couple Living Together File Jointly on Income Taxes?
- When You Swipe Your Credit Card, Does it Take Just the Numbers?