How to Reissue U.S. Savings Bonds

You may have a savings bonds reissued to update your personal information.
i Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

If any of the information on your savings bonds has changed, you’ll need to have them reissued. This means registering the bonds again. You can do this for any number of reasons. For example, you can have a bond reissued to reflect a change in your your name, to add your spouse as a co-owner, or to remove a former beneficiary. You can have interest-earning series EE, E and I savings bonds reissued unless they are one month away from maturity. Neither the issue date nor the interest rate will be affected.

Step 1

Find the right reissue form on the Department of the Treasury’s website. You can use Form PD 4000 to add or remove a co-owner or use Form PD 1455 to add a court-appointed guardian. Form PD 1851 is for adding the name of a trustee, but it is only available by mail.

Step 2

Complete the form. You’ll need to provide the issue date, face amount and number for the savings bonds; your name, Social Security number and address; and the reason for requesting the reissue. If you are adding a co-owner or beneficiary, write the person’s name, address and taxpayer information.

Step 3

Take the form to your bank or credit union and sign it in front of a certifying officer. You’ll need to show your identification first. Any co-owner of the savings bond must also sign. The officer will sign and place an official seal or medallion stamp on the form.

Step 4

Mail the form and the savings bonds to the Department of the Treasury at the given address. The office will send the reissued bond to the address you provide on the form.

the nest