How to Recover a Tax E-File Pin

Almost no one enjoys filing tax returns, but at least e-filing makes it convenient. All you need for that is a personal identification number, or PIN, but losing track of that from one year to the next isn't uncommon. If that happens, you can't "recover" the old one, but you can get a new one through the IRS PIN help page.

Read the pop-up labeled "Authorized Use" at the IRS PIN help page, then click "OK."

Type your name, address, birthdate, tax-filing status and Social Security number in the appropriate spaces on the form.

Hit "Submit" to see the new PIN on the next page.


  • Another option is to call 1-866-704-7388 and let the touch-tone system prompts lead you to your new PIN.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling

About the Author

D. Laverne O'Neal, an Ivy League graduate, published her first article in 1997. A former theater, dance and music critic for such publications as the "Oakland Tribune" and Gannett Newspapers, she started her Web-writing career during the dot-com heyday. O'Neal also translates and edits French and Spanish. Her strongest interests are the performing arts, design, food, health, personal finance and personal growth.