How to Find Out If I Have Uncashed Bonds

You can check the U.S. Treasury's records for uncashed savings bonds.
i Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Paper assets, such as uncashed savings bonds, can add considerable value to your business portfolio. Because savings bonds mature in 30 to 40 years, many people forget that they have them. The good news is that the U.S. Department of the Treasury maintains accurate records that you can check for uncashed bonds that could belong to you.

Step 1

Check for paper certificates of savings bonds in your home if you bought or received some as gifts in earlier years. Examine the issue dates and check the information provided on the Treasury Department’s TreasuryDirect website to find out if the bonds have matured.

Step 2

Visit the Treasury Department’s TreasuryDirect website to search for uncashed savings bonds in your name. You can enter your social security number or Employee Identification Number (EIN) into the search field on the Treasury Hunt page and click the “Search” button to see results.

Step 3

Contact the U.S. Treasury if you are certain you have savings bonds, but you don’t have the paper certificates and cannot find them on the Treasury Department’s website. The online database lists only Series E bonds issued from 1974 and Series EE bonds issued from 1980. The U.S. Treasury stores information about older bonds on microfiche records. An agent can search for savings bonds in your name if you submit a request in writing. If you lost a savings bond or if a bond was stolen or destroyed, submit Form PDF 1048. For undeliverable bonds (bonds not received), submit Form PD F 3062-4. Send the forms to the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of the Public Debt. For HH or H savings bonds, send the form to P.O. Box 2186, Parkersburg, WV 26106-2186; for E, EE, or I savings bonds send the form to P.O. Box 7012, Parkersburg, WV 26106-7012. You can also call the U.S. Treasury at 304-480-7711 if you have any questions.

the nest