Grants for Home Additions for the Handicapped

If you or your partner lives with a physical disability, it's important you make your new living arrangement as comfortable as possible. This might involve modifications to your home, whether it's the addition of a ramp, electronic adaptive equipment or additional space. While the money to cover such expenses doesn't grow on trees, several sources of grant money can help make your dream home even better for you and your partner.

Handi-Ramp Foundation

Formed in 2006, the Handi-Ramp Foundation provides grant funding to the physically disabled for the express purpose of home modifications. You can apply for funding directly through the Handi-Ramp Foundation's website. To do so, include your name, phone number, e-mail address, your reason for requesting a donation and an estimate of your annual income. If you are approved for funding, the Handi-Ramp Foundation will require you to verify your annual income by providing a copy of your tax return from the previous year.

Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation

If you or your partner suffers from a disability that stems from a spinal cord injury and your new home requires an addition or modification you're having trouble affording, the Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation might be in a position to help. Since 1998, the OHH Foundation has helped the victims of spinal cord injuries afford minor structural renovations to homes and the installation of ramps. Request a grant application by calling the foundation at 888-265-5859.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society offers grant support to individuals with MS who need financial support to make renovations or additions to existing homes. Funding possibilities under the NMSS grant program include installing ramps, stair glides, electric lifts and other home modifications. The program pays for a portion of home addition expenses depending on the total cost, topping out at 50 percent of modifications costing over $700 up to a maximum of $1,500 per person per fiscal year. Call your regional chapter of the NMSS to request a grant application.

Department of Veterans Affairs

If you or your partner is a disabled veteran, you might be eligible to receive grant funding for necessary structural adjustments to your home through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Home Improvements and Structural Alterations program awards financial assistance for home renovation pertinent to a wounded veteran's disability. HISA grant applications are available from the DVA website. You'll need estimates from three or more licensed contractors before applying. In addition to the HISA, you or your partner might also qualify for DVA funding through the Special Home Adaptation or Specially Adapted Housing grant programs.

the nest