If you have an IRA, profit-sharing plan, pension or retirement plan with your employer, you’ll get a 1099-R as you ring in the new year. Your employer has to to report distributions of more than $10 received for the calendar year just ended. The Internal Revenue Service requires you to file a 1099 with your income tax return if your 1099-R shows that you had income tax withheld from your distributions.
Check your 1099-R to see if you had income tax withheld from your distributions. This amount will be in Box 4 of the 1099-R. If your 1099-R has a number in this box, you have to file your 1099 with your federal income tax return. If you have a number in Box 12, you have state income tax withheld. You may also have to file it with your state or local income tax return if your state taxes pension income. Check with your state department of revenue to determine if this applies to you.
Transfer the amount from Box 4 of your 1099-R to Line 61 of Form 1040 or Line 38 of Form 1040A. Transfer the amount from Box 12 of your 1099-R to your state income tax return, if applicable.
Complete the rest of your income tax return. Sign and date the form.
Attach Form 1099-R Copy B to your federal income tax Form 1040 or 1040A.
Attach Form 1099-R Copy 1 to your state income tax form.
Mail your income tax return to the appropriate address with the attached 1099-R.
- If you only have state income tax withheld (a number in Box 12), do not attach Copy B to your federal income tax form. If you have only federal income tax withheld (a number in Box 4), do not attach Copy 1 to your state income tax form.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- How to Calculate Early Withdrawal Tax Penalty for Massachusett's State Retirement
- How to Determine if a Tax Return Has Been Cashed
- How to Estimate Tax Liability Form 4868
- How to Change an Income Tax Return After Filing
- How to Deduct State Income Tax
- How to Close a SEP IRA
- How to Cash Out a 401(k) Instead of Rolling Over
- How Do I Find My Employer's State Unemployment Tax Number So I Can File an Unemployment Claim?