Whether you made a mistake on your original return, discovered a missed deduction, or received an additional Form W-2 or 1099 since filing the original, for example, the process of filing an amended return is fairly straightforward. Still, amended returns are processed separately from original returns. The process of checking the refund status of amended returns is therefore different from that for checking original return status. You cannot check the status of an amended individual return online.
Look up your exact refund amount. You'll need this data to check on status.
Find your Social Security number and tax-filing status for the year. This information is also necessary to the status-checking process.
Call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 and choose the option for questions about personal income taxes. Then select the "tax rules" option. Thirdly, select the option for answering general tax questions. Your call will enter a queue to speak to a representative. When you reach a representative, ask to speak to an accounts representative. This representative can look up the details and inform you about the status of your refund.
- The IRS says, via its website, amended returns can take up to 12 weeks to process.
- Internal Revenue Service: Amended-Returns-&-Form-1040X/Amended-Returns-&-Form-1040X-3
- IRS Telephone Customer Service
- Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- Can I Fix My Tax Refund if It Was Incorrect Last Year?
- Do I Need to Amend My State Tax Return if I Forgot to File My 1099-G With My Federal Return?
- How Will Marriage Affect My Taxes?
- What If I Just Realized I've Been Doing My Tax Returns Wrong?
- Kentucky State Tax Refund Information
- Can You File a Tax Return Amended From Joint to Separate?
- Do I Need to Include My Original Tax Forms With My Amended Return?
- Are There Time Limits to File a 1040X for a Particular Tax Year?