The mission statement of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs states the organization is dedicated "to fulfill President Lincoln's promise 'To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan' by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s veterans." The VA department offers numerous benefits and services specifically for veterans, including pensions, home loans and insurance, such as health and disability. Veterans can easily apply for health insurance via three convenient methods and start receiving services such as medical care, prescriptions and psychiatric services.
Locate a local Veterans health care facility to apply for health insurance. Call to make an appointment — although most VA facilities allow walk-ins. Obtain the business address, hours of operation and parking information. Visit the VA location in person to fill out Form 10-10EZ as well as get your picture taken for your Veterans identification card. You will receive a letter within five to seven days stating your enrollment status in the health care program.
Call the toll-free Veterans hotline at 877-222-VETS to inquire about enrollment in the VA health insurance program. Speak with a representative to submit your information over the telephone. You will receive a completed Form 10-10EZ in the mail within two to five days to review for accuracy, sign and return via mail. Upon acceptance of the signed form by the VA, you will receive a letter within five to seven days stating your enrollment status in the health care program and how to obtain your Veterans identification card.
Complete Form 10-10EZ easily and quickly online at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website. Locate the "Veteran Services" drop-down menu near the top left of the home page and click on the "Health Care Information" link. Scroll down to the lower right of the Health Care page and click on "Apply for Health Benefits" in the Resources section. The Health Benefits sections lists information regarding services and costs of the insurance. Click on "Apply for VA Health Benefits." Under the "Ways to Apply" section, click on the online link for the Form 10-10EZ. Complete the form and submit — no signature is required for online applications. You will receive a submission number and information regarding your preferred VA facility. You will receive a letter within five to seven days stating your enrollment status in the health care program and how to obtain your Veterans identification card.
Items you will need
- Form 10-10EZ
- If you have questions when completing the online Form 10-10EZ, contact a VA representative through the toll-free telephone number or in an online chat on the website.
- If you have to sign the application form with an "X" instead of an actual signature, the VA requires that two people known to you witness you sign and then sign and date the form themselves.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- How to Request Temporary 100 Percent Disability from the VA
- What Is a COE in a Mortgage?
- Pros & Cons of PPO Insurance Programs
- How Long Does a Claim Take to Be Rated for Compensation In Veteran Affairs?
- How to Check on a GI Bill Payment
- How to Find My PIN Number to File Taxes
- How Much Do You Pay Per Week for an In-Home Care Giver?
- What Is an FHA Direct Endorsement?