Putting your traditional IRA funds in a CD -- especially a long-term CD -- can prove a powerful ploy to keep you from touching the funds before retirement. After all, not only do you face the IRA early withdrawal penalty if you remove any funds before age 59 1/2, you also have the CD's own early withdrawal penalty to worry about. Anytime you withdraw traditional IRA funds -- from a CD or any other vehicle -- you must pay income tax.
Look out for the CD maturity date to arrive. In most cases, if you withdraw money from a CD before the maturity date, the amount will be subject to CD early withdrawal penalties. If you are already assuming tax liability, taking on penalties will only further reduce the net amount.
Tell the trustee you want to withdraw the funds. You may have to fill out a form online or in print. The process may take one to three business days. Request to have the funds delivered by check or electronic deposit to your bank account. You may be able to pick up the check from the institution. Otherwise, add check mailing time to the processing time.
Look for your Internal Revenue Service Form 1099-R in late January or February of the following year. The form reports to the IRS your IRA withdrawals. It also indicates what portion of the withdrawal is taxable or subject to penalty.
Report the withdrawal in the income section of Internal Revenue Service Form 1040 when you file your tax return. As of 2012, this data would be entered on Line 15.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- What Form Do I Use to Report an Early IRA Withdrawal?
- Early Withdrawal From 401(k) Due to Work Termination
- Definition of Long-Term Unemployment Tax Breaks for Early Withdrawal of an IRA
- Non-Qualified IRA Withdrawal Penalties
- 401(k) Withdrawals for Medical Surgery
- Do Elderly Pay Tax on IRA Withdrawals in Texas?
- What Is the Total Percentage of Tax & Penalty Paid on Early IRA Withdrawals?
- The Tax Impact of IRA Withdrawal for a First-Time Home Buyer
- How to Withdraw Funds From a Tax-Deferred IRA
- How to Figure the Tax Withholding on an Early IRA Withdrawal