The 1099 series of forms features nearly two dozen different types of "information returns" the Internal Revenue Service requires of businesses and certain individuals. Unless you are a landlord or home-based business owner filing a 1099-MISC to report paying an independent contractor $600 or more in a calendar year for relevant services, you'll probably be receiving 1099 forms instead of sending them. If you are sending a 1099 form, you can print one for yourself and your recipient, but you must order a free official, scannable version to send to the IRS or they may assess a fee for every unscannable one received.
Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website, if you do not already have the program running on your computer. You will need it to open and print IRS instructions and forms.
Visit the IRS website. Confirm that the URL ends in .gov to ensure you’ve arrived at the official site for government tax forms.
Search for a specific form using the search bar located in the upper-right corner of the page or click on “Forms & Pubs” on the main page. Locate the 1099 form of your choice from the list of options. Click on the form title to open the document or on “Instructions” to open a tutorial on how to complete and send the forms.
Click on the printer icon located at the bottom-center of the page, or choose “File” and “Print” from the drop-down menu in your web browser to display the print menu window. Adjust print settings as necessary and click “OK” to send the applicable 1099 document pages to your printer.
- Contact the IRS at 800-829-3676 or submit an online request to order official, scannable IRS forms.
- Note that requests are held until forms become available for the current tax year, and then automatically shipped. To avoid multiple shipments, do not reorder a second time. There is a 1,000 form limit and instructions and publications are limited to 25 copies.
- Confirm how many forms are printed per sheet when requesting official forms from the IRS. Some are printed with two or three forms per page.
- IRS: Forms and Pubs
- Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals 2011; United States Internal Revenue Service
- George Doyle/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- How to Deduct Expenses Related to Farmland Held for Cash Rental
- How to Print a 1099 Tax Form off the Computer
- How to Write a Letter of Residency Verification
- Can Painting a Rental Be Depreciated?
- Tax Write Offs for Caregiving Children of Elderly Parents
- Taxes & Writing Off College Tuitions
- What Are the Tax Write-Offs for Charity Miles?
- What Can I Claim on My Taxes if I Have a Second Job Besides My Home Business?
- What Can You Write Off on Your Investment House When You Sell?
- Can Creditors Garnish Wages for Charge-Off Amounts?