After going through the hassle of gathering all of your W2s, receipts and other tax documents, and then filing your tax return, you are probably anxious to find out if the Internal Revenue Service has processed your return. The IRS offers several methods for you to check the status of your tax return without having to speak with an agent. If you are expecting a refund, you should get your direct deposited refund check within 21 days or a paper check in six to eight weeks after filing.
Check the status of your return by using the "Where's My Refund?" tool on the IRS's website. Input your Social Security number, filing status and your refund amount, if applicable. If the screen shows "Return Received," this means that the IRS has your tax return and is processing it. If you are checking the status of an amended return, use the "Where's My Amended Return?" tool on the site instead.
Use the Mobile App
The IRS offers an IRS2Go app that you can use to check the status of your return. It encrypts information that you enter, such as your Social Security number, for security purposes.
An automated phone system is also available through the IRS. As of 2014, you can call 800-829-1954 to receive information about whether your tax return has been processed. Input the same information as required by the website.
- Internal Revenue Service: Ten Things to Know About Tax Refunds
- Internal Revenue Service: IRS2Go Mobile App
- Internal Revenue Service: Where's My Refund - It's Quick, Easy and Secure
- Internal Revenue Service: IRS Offers New Toll-Free Numbers to Assist Taxpayers
- Internal Revenue Service: 2013 Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions
- Ryan McVay/Digital Vision/Getty Images
- What if I Gave the Wrong Mileage on My Tax Return by Accident?
- Define M-1 Adjustments on Tax Returns
- How to Estimate Tax Liability Form 4868
- What Percentage Can You Make Before You Cannot Be Claimed on a Parent's Income Tax?
- How to Assemble Paper Tax Returns
- What If I Owe Taxes With My Return But Do Not Have the Money to Pay Them?
- How Often Do They Actually Audit a Person's Tax Return?
- Can I Claim a Nursery School Tuition on My Tax Return?
- How to Budget With Tax Return Money
- What Address Do I Send My Tax Return To?