If you have misplaced your W-2 form, or require one from a past year, you'll need to get one through your company’s accounting or human resources department. If this isn't possible, but you only need the facts on the form, there are other ways to get that information.
Ask the accounting or human resources department of your company if it keeps records of W-2s. Request a print or photocopy of the form.
Call the Internal Revenue Service's customer service line at 1-800-829-3676, or visit a local IRS field office. The IRS doesn't keep copies of W-2 forms, but can give you your earnings and tax deductions. The IRS will not have your state tax information.
Contact your local tax office by telephone or in person for state withholding information.
Fill out IRS form 4506 to request a copy of a previous year’s filed tax return. Mail the completed form with the required fee to the IRS office indicated in the form.
- Contact the Social Security Administration if you have a SSA related inquiry such as an earnings discrepancy. The SSA can give you your wages and withholding information.
- How To Cover Your Taxes with Withholdings
- How To Read a Paycheck Stub
- What Is the Tax on Lotto Winnings in California?
- IRS Penalties for Underwithholding
- How to Fill Out a W-4 if I Want a Tax Refund
- Affects of Being Married on W-4 Tax Withholding
- Must an Employer Withhold Federal Taxes on an Hourly Employee?
- How to Reduce Your Taxes to Balance Your Budget
- Rules on the Medicare Tax Withheld
- Tax Withholding Single Vs. Married