If you’re an Illinois resident and need to know the gross amount of unemployment compensation you received during the year, you need a copy of your 1099-G. You’ll also need a 1099-G if you itemized deductions on your federal return last year and received an Illinois state tax refund. 1099-G forms for these types of income come from different state departments, so you need to request your 1099-G from the correct department.
Illinois Department of Employment Security
Verify your request date. As of the date of publication, you can request a copy of your 1099-G for unemployment compensation after February 7.
Request your 1099-G by phone. Call the Tele-Serve system at 888-337-7234 and select option 3, or call claimant services at 800-244-5631.
Enter your Social Security number to access your account. After your account is verified, you can order your 1099-G for unemployment compensation.
Go to the Illinois Revenue website. 1099-G forms for state refunds are issued through the Illinois Department of Revenue.
Click the “Look-up a 1099-G” link under the Individuals tab.
Enter the inquiry site and provide your Social Security number. Click the “Start” button to begin your request.
Print 1099-G information. If the state issued a 1099-G for you during the year, you can print the data after you enter the site. If the state did not issue a 1099-G for a state tax refund you received, you'll see a message that nothing is on file for your Social Security number and you won't be able to enter the site.
- If you need a 1099-G for unemployment, you can also request a copy online through your IDES account.
- If you do not itemize deductions on Schedule A with your federal tax return, you don't need to report your 1099-G for state income tax refunds you receive that year.
- 1099-G forms can also be ordered free of charge from the IRS by submitting a Form 4506-T and checking the box on line 8. Form 4506-T is available on the IRS website.
- How to Report a Stolen SSN
- What Receipts Are Safe to Throw Away vs. Shred?
- How to Calculate Spendable Income
- What Is OASDI/EE on a Paycheck?
- Can I Take a Deduction for Pretax Health Dollars?
- How to Cancel a Walmart MoneyCard
- How to Reopen Social Security Disability Benefits After Receiving Benefits for a Closed Period
- FHA Guidelines for Employment Gaps
- How to Deal With a Sudden Decrease in Income
- What Is S125 on a W2?