What Happens if You Don't Change Your Mortgage to Your Married Name?

Sharing is at the heart of a strong marriage.

Sharing is at the heart of a strong marriage.

You are not legally obligated to record your newly married name on your old mortgage and related property deed unless you wish to change the tenancy status. However, if you choose to not include your new spouse in the tenancy, he may not have the right to the property in the event that he survives you. This can precipitate future estate management, tax, and asset protection problems, according to the Navy Federal Credit Union.

Joint Tenancy

Joint tenancy grants both spouses the right to use the property and grants the right to survivorship in the event that your spouse survives you. This means that if you die before your spouse, he will inherit your interest in the property, as opposed to the property being bequeathed to other heirs, such as parents, relatives, and children from a previous marriage, for example. In this arrangement, either spouse can transfer their interest in the property without the permission of the other.


In a tenancy-in-common situation, in the event that your spouse survives you, your property interest would be given to your heirs, such as your parents, children, or grandchildren, for example. However, if your mortgage was paid during the marriage with community earnings, your surviving spouse has a community property interest in the property by virtue of the equity built with mutual funds. This is referred to as "Moore-Marsden" community interest.


In a tenancy-by-entirety arrangement, your spouse will inherit your property interest in the event of your death, and neither partner's interest can be transferred without the consent of the other spouse. This situation ensures that both parties will have a legal right to the property in question throughout the life of the mortgage and in the event that one spouse dies.

Protecting Your Assets

To avoid having a home that was yours before entering into marriage put at risk, you must get your spouse and lender to sign either a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement that states that you are the individual owner of the property before, during and after marriage. The prenuptial contract is created before marriage and specifies who owns what. Some states honor post-nuptial agreements, which are like a prenuptial, but enacted during marriage. To safeguard ownership of a home that you owned prior to marriage, you must follow through with one of these contracts and maintain separate accounts. "You can't designate something as a separate account and then not have the actual ownership of the account reflect that, " according to Alicia Rinaldi, a family law attorney with Rinaldi & Sparks in Boston.

About the Author

I love to write! I am a dedicated writer who writes every single morning. I enjoy journalism, poetry, short-stories, and have several book ideas that I am currently working on. I feel that I best express myself in writing, and am most at "home" at my desk. I have published numerous poems with The International Library of Poetry since 1999. Many of my poems have also been made into audio CDs with The Library of Sound, an affliate of TILP. I have published poetry with Famouspoets.com out of Oregon. I am a photographer and an illustrator and would like to incorporate both photos and illustrations with my work when appropriate. I enjoy these mediums as there is always so much more to learn. I feel that when I write "my thoughts are made known to me" and I can better understand and interpret my world. I think my qwest in my writing of any kind is to uncover the spiritual truth beyond appearances. I would be happy to do writing of any kind, articles, poetry, stories, commentaries.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images