Even the most lighthearted and tactless chatterbox will think twice about discussing some subjects with friends and relatives. For example, it can be difficult to discuss insurance matters when someone is terminally ill or recently deceased. Because of this, family and executors are left scrambling to locate important documents such as life insurance policies. If you suspect one exists, there are some strategies you can use to find it.
Contact the Medical Information Bureau and request a search. The Bureau has records of more than180 million policies underwritten since 1996, and will search its database for a fee. If the issuing company has since been the subject of a merger or acquisition, the MIB can also help identify its current name.
Review the deceased person's financial records, including check stubs and bank or credit card statements. Unless the policy was a fully paid-up whole life product, there should be some record of the premium payments.
Write or phone the deceased person's former employers. Their human resources departments can tell you whether there is any residual group coverage. If the deceased converted group coverage into a private policy, the HR department can also tell you which company would have issued the policy.
Get in touch with any known financial advisers the deceased person might have used. If you don't have names and can't get them from other friends and family, comb through the deceased person's effects and look for business cards, pens, calendars or other promotional items that might provide a lead.
Call the unclaimed-property office in states where a policy might have been purchased. It's usually part of the state's treasury department or comptroller's office. If the insurer is unable to locate a beneficiary, it's required by law to remit the death benefit to the unclaimed-property office.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
- What Are Household Assets?
- Cancelling Whole Life Insurance
- A Checklist for Adding a Baby to Health Insurance & Life Insurance
- Which Is More Important: Life Insurance or Disability Income Insurance?
- Do You Have to Declare Insurance Payouts?
- Reasons for High Life Insurance Premiums
- When Is Term Life Insurance Necessary?
- Do I Need Mortgage Life Insurance?
- Can You Borrow Money From an Irrevocable Trust?
- Mortgage Protection Vs. Regular Life Insurance