Whether you made a mistake on your original return, discovered a missed deduction, or received an additional Form W-2 or 1099 since filing the original, for example, the process of filing an amended return is fairly straightforward. Still, amended returns are processed separately from original returns. The process of checking the refund status of amended returns is therefore different from that for checking original return status. You cannot check the status of an amended individual return online.
Look up your exact refund amount. You'll need this data to check on status.
Find your Social Security number and tax-filing status for the year. This information is also necessary to the status-checking process.
Call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 and choose the option for questions about personal income taxes. Then select the "tax rules" option. Thirdly, select the option for answering general tax questions. Your call will enter a queue to speak to a representative. When you reach a representative, ask to speak to an accounts representative. This representative can look up the details and inform you about the status of your refund.
- The IRS says, via its website, amended returns can take up to 12 weeks to process.
- Internal Revenue Service: Amended-Returns-&-Form-1040X/Amended-Returns-&-Form-1040X-3
- IRS Telephone Customer Service
- Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
- What Is S125 on a W2?
- How to Report Tax Fraud to the IRS
- How Can I Correct a Wrong Social Security on My Tax Return?
- Can a Wife Draw Social Security from Her Husband if She Has Her Own Retirement Plan?
- How to Amend a Return to Increase Deductions & Claim Dependents
- How to Add a Qualifying Child You Never Used Before to Your Taxes
- How to Refinance Using FHA Streamline With Non-Occupancy Co-Borrowers
- What Is the Difference Between Payroll Tax & Income Tax?
- The Advantages of Living in a Gated Community
- How to Calculate Spendable Income