Only tax returns that are filed electronically require a date of birth. The purpose is for tax credits and deductions to be automatically calculated. If the birth date that you entered on your return doesn't match the records of the Social Security Administration, it will be rejected. However, the problem is easily fixed; simply revisit the website that you used to file the return and make the change.
Visit the website that you used to create and file your tax return. Open the file that contains the return. For some tax programs, you may need to choose “Continue” rather than “Open.” If the return was rejected due to a wrong birth date, the program may see your return as incomplete and request that you continue filling out the form.
Notice if your program offers a “Fix” option. Intuit’s Turbo Tax, for example, will alert you to a problem with the return and guide you to the appropriate page to fix the indicated errors. If not, simply pull up the personal information portion of the return.
Enter your correct date of birth in the appropriate cell of the form. Follow the prompts on your particular tax program to save and re-file the tax return. For example, Turbo Tax will ask you to “continue” through any other portions that require fixing. The program will then prompt you to retransmit your form.
- IRS form 1040X is used to amend a tax return that has already been filed. If you entered the wrong birth date on your electronic form, it should be returned for fixing. However, if it does accidentally go through, you will need to make the appropriate changes on form 1040X. Your electronic tax program should provide you with this form.
- Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images
- How to Replace a Lost Income Tax Return
- How Often Do They Actually Audit a Person's Tax Return?
- Do I File a Tax Return if I Didn't Work but Have a Dependent Child?
- What If I Owe Taxes With My Return But Do Not Have the Money to Pay Them?
- What Percentage Can You Make Before You Cannot Be Claimed on a Parent's Income Tax?
- Does the 125 Plan Affect My Tax Return?
- How to Get Certified Copies of Tax Returns
- What Causes a Tax Return to Be Rejected?
- Do I Need to Amend My State Tax Return if I Forgot to File My 1099-G With My Federal Return?
- How Do Real Estate Auctions Work?