You're considering a remodel for your house, and you want maximize its value. You know that traditionally adding a bathroom is a good investment, but adding a swimming pool is potentially undesirable. What you may not realize is that smart house wiring can improve your quality of life now, while adding appeal and potential added resale value for the future.
Smart house wiring won't make your house a rival for the space-age dwelling from the Jetsons, but it is designed to provide the capacity to operate and control 21st century technology. Smart house wiring provides electrical infrastructure for electrical and electronic equipment in and around your home. Optimally, smart house wiring is integrated into new construction, however, renovation also presents a good opportunity to add smart house wiring. Smart house wiring can also be added as a retrofit into your existing home wiring system.
Smart house wiring is already in use. Many homes have electronically controlled entertainment and home monitoring systems. Smart house wiring can also be used for motion detection systems that turn lights or temperature systems on or off, based on the presence or absence of human activity. Having these types of systems in operation, or at least having the necessary wiring in place has the potential allow your home to stand out from the competition in a tough market by providing appeal to security-minded or tech-savvy buyers
Increased Energy Efficiency
Some utility systems also offer demand meters that use smart house wiring to allow customers to monitor and control their usage of services. Customers who use demand meters often reduce their utility usage -- and save money -- by reducing utility consumption during peak demand times. Smart home wiring systems can automatically raise and lower window blinds to maximize natural light. Others water your lawn according to a predetermined schedule to minimize water waste. Once your smart home wiring system is in place, monitoring can take place from your home computer, or anywhere you can establish an Internet connection.
Future-Proofing Your Home
As technology continues to advance, smart home wiring has the potential to transform from novelty to necessity. Homes without the capacity to connect to smart-city grids or operate the newest technological innovations may be at a disadvantage on the housing market. Even if you don't intend to operate the latest gadgets, once you put your house on the market, having smart wiring installed may mean the difference between receiving your desired asking price -- or having your home languish on the market.
- Abbott's Online: What Is Smart Wiring?
- Park Place Installations: Smart House -- Smart House Technology Defined
- International Copper Promotion India: Smart Wiring
- Smart Wired: FAQs
- Salon: Science Fiction No More -- The Perfect City Is Under Construction
- Smart Home USA: Plan Your Own Smart Home System
- Southern California Edison: Stay Current -- Technology That Stays In Touch
- Popular Mechanics: Home Automation 101
- Popular Mechanics: Smart House -- Your So-Called Sci-Fi Life
- Wired: Oct. 6, 1887 -- An Architect for the Machine Age
- Remodeling Magazine: Cost versus Value Report -- 2011-2012
- Smart Money: Which Home Improvements Pay Off?
- Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago: Smart Home -- Green+ Wired
- California Public Utilities Commission: Demand Response
- National Grid: Understanding Electric Demand
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
- Advantages & Disadvantages of Taking the Equity Out of Your Home
- How to Cash Out Equity in Your Home
- Understanding Home Equity
- How to Get a Home Equity Line
- Can Smart Home Wiring Increase the House Value?
- House Remortgage vs. Home Equity
- Checklist for Buying Land & Building a Home
- How to Counter Offer if Selling a Home
- How Granite Counter Tops Increase the Value of a Home
- How Can I Build a Room That My Cats Will Love in My New Home?